Headaches, jaw pain, and difficulty chewing are all common signs of temporomandibular disorder (TMD). Also known as TMJ, a TMD is often categorized as dysfunction in the jaw joints. Although there is no one singular cause of TMJ disorder, common causes can include:
- Development disorders
- Dental Trauma
- Teeth grinding or clenching
As experienced restorative dentists in Skokie, IL. Dr. Abraham Stein and Dr. Zachary Weiss provide diagnosis and comprehensive treatment for TMJ and bite disorders. If you are experiencing any signs of TMJ disorder, such as regular headaches, jaw pain, and tooth damage, be sure to visit our dental office for a consultation.
Common Signs Of TMJ
The signs of TMJ disorder can vary. It is important to discuss any changes in your dental health with your dentists during your appointment.
- Jaw pain
- Difficulty chewing
- Should and neck pain
- Teeth grinding and clenching
- Facial pain
- Jaw tenderness
- Jaw locking and clicking
Treatment Options For TMJ
There is a wide range of treatment options for those dealing with TMJ disorder. Our team at The Stein Center for Advanced Dentistry can work with you to explore some of your treatment options. After a comprehensive examination and thorough discussion of your symptoms, we can recommend the best solution for your smile.
Treatment options for TMJ disorder can include one or more of the following:
- Orthodontics: If the underlying cause of TMJ disorder is caused by malocclusion, we may recommend Invisalign or another type of orthodontic treatment.
- Restorative Dentistry: If you have sustained worn, chipped, or overall damaged teeth, we may recommend one more restorative dentistry treatment to repair your smile. Treatment options may include dental crowns, dental bonding, or dental implants, depending on the extent of the damage.
- Mouthguards and splint therapy: A custom oral appliance is often worn during sleep to help reposition the jaw. It can prevent the teeth from making contact and help relieve stress on the joints and muscles in the mouth.
Find Relief For TMJ In Skokie, IL
Would you like to learn more about treating TMJ disorder in Skokie, IL?
Visit the experienced professionals at The Stein Center for Advanced Dentistry for the care you need. We offer a complete range of treatment options to address many types of dental concerns, including TMJ disorder. Schedule a consultation with our team to learn more about your options. To schedule an appointment, call 847.920.4747 or request an appointment online.