Headaches, jaw pain, and difficulty chewing are all common signs of temporomandibular disorder (TMD). Also known as TMJ, a TMD is often categorized as dysfunction in the jaw joints. Although there is no one singular cause of TMJ disorder, common causes can include:
- Teeth grinding or clenching, especially during sleep
- Bite disorders, like an uneven bite due to fitted dentures, fillings and dental crowns
- Dental Trauma. Any injury to the joint area caused by an accident or surgical procedure
- Development disorders
As experienced restorative dentists in Skokie, IL. Dr. Abraham Stein and Dr. Zachary Weiss provide diagnosis and comprehensive treatment for TMJ and bite disorders. If you are experiencing any signs of TMJ disorder, such as regular headaches, jaw pain, and tooth damage, be sure to visit our dental office for a consultation.
Common Signs Of TMJ
The signs of TMJ disorder can vary. It is important to discuss any changes in your dental health with your dentists during your appointment. Patients suffering from a TMJ disorder, experience the following signs and symptoms:
- Limited or restricted jaw mobility
- Teeth clenching or grinding
- Signs of tooth wear
- Shoulder and neck pain
- Migraines or headaches
- Popping, grating or clicking noises while chewing or during mouth movement
- Muscle pain around the jaw area
- Feeling of a stuck jaw which makes eating difficult
- Jaw pain
- Difficulty chewing
- Facial pain
- Jaw tenderness
Treatment Options For TMJ in Skokie, IL
There is a wide range of treatment options for those dealing with TMJ disorder. Our team at The Stein Center for Advanced Dentistry can work with you to explore some of your treatment options. After a comprehensive examination and thorough discussion of your symptoms, we can recommend the best solution for your smile.
Treatment options for TMJ disorder can include one or more of the following:
- Restorative Dentistry: TMJ disorders will usually leave behind a trail of tooth damage. If you have sustained worn, chipped, or overall damaged teeth, we may recommend one more restorative dental treatments to repair your smile. Treatment options may include dental crowns, dental bonding, or dental implants, depending on the extent of the damage.
- Mouthguards and splint therapy: A custom oral appliance is often worn during sleep to help reposition the jaw. It can prevent the teeth from making contact and help relieve stress on the joints and muscles in the mouth.
- Orthodontics treatment: If the underlying cause of TMJ disorder is caused by malocclusion, we may recommend Invisalign or another type of orthodontic treatment. We can coordinate with a trusted local orthodontist for treatment.
Find Relief For TMJ In Skokie, IL
Would you like to learn more about treating TMJ disorder in Skokie, IL?
Visit the experienced professionals at The Stein Center for Advanced Dentistry for the care you need. We offer a complete range of treatment options to address many types of dental concerns, including TMJ disorder. Schedule a consultation with our team to learn more about your options. To schedule an appointment, call 847.920.4747 or request an appointment online.